The spleen is an important organ of the body entitled to play multiple supporting roles pivotal for the body. It acts as a blood filter where the red blood cells are recycled and platelets and white blood cells are stored. The spleen also helps fight certain kinds of bacteria that cause pneumonia and meningitis.
Problems of the spleen:
Splenomegaly is defined as enlargement of the spleen which may be caused by an infection or an injury.
Spleen pain is usually felt in the left ribs. It may be tender pain felt on the touch which may indicate a damaged, ruptured, or enlarged spleen.
The spleen can become damaged or rupture (burst) upon experiencing a forceful blow to the abdomen, car accident, sporting accident, or fracture to the ribs.
Ayurveda for healthy spleen:
Ayurveda is the holistic science of treating all the problems of the body and the mind using remedies from nature. It is the most ancient practice of treating diseases and has been used since eons to treat a plethora of disorders.
Rohitakarishta is a polyherbal Ayurvedic preparation widely used in treating many diseases, especially liver and spleen disorders. It effectively corrects the abnormalities associated with the functions of these organs. This marvellous infusion is very effective in improving conditions of heart and blood.
Rohitakarishta is a fermented liquid preparation that contains 5 – 10% self generated alcohol and is made from the bark of Rohita, which is the main ingredient of this medicine. This herb is loaded with numerous medicinal properties which are beneficial for the treatment of liver, spleen and blood related diseases.
Rohitakarishta is brimmed with many medicinal properties.
- Spleen protective
- Hepatic stimulant
- Anthelmintic or vermifuge
- Depurative (purifies blood)
Rohitakarishta for the spleen
Rohitakarishta is a marvellous spleen protective medicine presented by the ayurvedic scripts. It is very effective in the treatment of splenomegaly and other spleen related disorders. Rohitakarishta provides relief regardless of the underlying cause of the disease and aids a permanent cure for the same. It reduces the toxins developed due to viral, bacterial or parasitic infections, improves the production of lymphocytes (white blood cells), pacifies low-grade inflammation of the spleen and opens any blockage occurring in the enlarged spleen thereby restoring the normal functions of the spleen.
Other benefits of Rohitakarishta:
- It acts as a protective agent and protects the liver from damage with its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties.
- It is effective in treating abdominal colic.
- It is used in the treatment of ascites, liver disorders, sprue, piles, and jaundice.
- It is useful in skin diseases, inflammatory conditions, and anorexia.
- Beneficial in anemia.
Side effects of Rohitakaratishta:
- There are no reported side effects of this medicine when taken as prescribed by the Ayurvedic doctor.
- However, people with sensitive stomach may experience gastritis symptoms.
- Self medication with this product is strictly discouraged as it may worsen several pre-existing conditions like liver complications or gastritis.
- An overdose of the medicine may lead to complaints such as burning sensation in stomach