In the world of Ayurveda and natural remedies, one of the most familiar herbs that pop up in every mind is Bhringraj. It is scientifically known as Eclipta prostrata, and is referred to as the “king of hair” due to its rich history and a myriad of health benefits. This unassuming herb has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to promote hair growth, improve skin health, prevent premature aging, and boost overall well-being. It is not just limited to hair care, also used for liver protection, gut health, and skin health. In this blog, we will discuss its rich history, traditional uses, and fascinating benefits that make it a sought-after ingredient in modern hair care products.
It is derived from two Sanskrit words namely Bee and Raja, which means King. Ayurvedic books like Charaka Samhita and Sushruta Samhita state that it is a revered herb to treat various ailments and promote overall well-being.
Bhringraj is a powerhouse of essential nutrients and bioactive compounds. It includes and antioxidants that protect cells from oxidative damage, vitamins like vitamins E and D, minerals like iron, magnesium, and calcium. This nutrient-packed herb is also a good source of omega-6 fatty acids, which are vital for maintaining healthy skin and hair.
Benefits of Bhringraj:
Bhringraj for Hair Care
Bhringraj oil, which is extracted from the plant, is a perfect choice for nourishing the scalp and stimulating hair follicles. Regular massage with it’s oil can enhance blood circulation to the scalp, promote hair regrowth, and prevent premature aging with smoothness by maintaining the natural pigment of the hair.
It also reduces hair loss and inflammation with its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
This also helps to treat dandruff and other scalp issues with its antifungal properties.
Bhringraj for Skin health
Bhringraj is a hero for your skin as well as your hair, providing outstanding advantages. With its antioxidant properties, it defends the skin against early aging, elasticity, and free radical damage. Acne, psoriasis, and other inflammatory skin diseases can be relieved by its anti-inflammatory characteristics. Using products with it’s extract or Bhringraj oil topically helps keep your skin glowing and healthy.
Detoxification and Liver Health
Ayurveda says that Bhringraj is renowned for balancing the fire element in the body, particularly in the liver due to its pitta-pacifying properties. This makes it a valuable herb for detoxification and liver health. Regular consumption of this herb can help the body remove toxins and maintain healthy liver.
Contemporary lifestyles will often bring high levels of stress and anxiety, that harms both mental and physical health. It has adaptogenic qualities that help the body adjust to stimuli and keep a constant balance. Regular consumption of it reduces stress and promotes a sense of relaxation.
How to Use Bhringraj
There are various ways to incorporate this herb into your daily routine:
- Bhringraj Oil: The most common way to use this Ayurvedic herb is by infusing it into a coconut or sesame oil. Massaging this infused oil to the scalp promotes hair growth and strengthens hair follicles. Leave it for an hour after the massage and wash it off.
- Bhringraj Shampoo and Conditioner: There are a few brands that offer Bhrigraj-infused shampoos and conditioners. Look for these products to enjoy healthier and shinier hair.
- Bhringraj Supplements: These are available in the form of capsules or powders, making it convenient to include in your daily routine orally.
- Bhringraj Tea: You can prepare tea by steeping dried leaves into hot water. This concoction can be taken daily for its detoxifying and stress-reducing benefits.
- Bhringraj Hair Masks: Create a mixture of it’s powder and yogurt or aloe vera gel. Apply the mask to your hair and scalp, leaving it on for 30 minutes before washing.
Even though it offers numerous benefits, it’s essential to use it in moderation. Consult an Ayurvedic doctor before incorporating it into your daily routine, especially if you are pregnant or have underlying health conditions.
Bhringraj, the “King of Hair” in Ayurveda, has been cherished for generations to maintain luscious locks and a healthy scalp. Whether you are looking to improve your hair and skin health, detoxify your body, or reduce stress, it is the time-tested solution for hair woes.