Our bones are strong during our adulthood, but with age, they start wearing out and their density starts decreasing gradually. With age, we start losing bone density at a faster rate because of the loss of calcium from the bones. Women are at a higher risk of facing this problem as female hormone estrogen starts declining once they reach menopause.
Ayurveda’s approach to bone health
In Ayurveda, bones are called asthi. The asthi dhatu is the skeletal structure of our body. Digested by the asthi dhatwagni, it also forms the teeth. The waste products of this metabolic process are the hair and nails.
Ayurveda suggests that to produce healthy asthi dhatu we need adequate pruthvi and vayu guna that should be consumed in the form of balanced diet. Pruthvi guna is abundant in sweet foods such as grains, nuts and astringent foods like beans. Vayu guna, on the other hand, is found in bitter and pungent foods like vegetables. However, if your bones are too weak, consumption alone does not guarantee bone health. Your digestive fire should also be healthy.
If the Vata dosha vitiates, it leads to weak or fragile bones. This condition leads to osteoporotic and bones fracture easily. When Pitta vitiates, it leads to bone infections (osteomyelitis) and inflammation. Kapha vitiation leads to thick and dense bones.
While we can achieve bone health with proper diet, at a certain point we need supplements to maintain deterioration of our bone health and to keep them healthy. Ayurvedic treatments suggest herbal medicines to take good care of our bone health.
Boniheal for bone health
Boniheal is an Ayurvedic proprietary medicine manufactured by AIMIL. It is a phyto-mineral product, which has been extracted from herbs and naturally available sources to promote complete bone health. The drug, found in capsule and syrup forms, is rich in natural calcium, magnesium and pro-bone minerals that are required to boost bone health and maintain the right density of bones.
Ingredients of Boniheal
Boniheal includes calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, zinc supporting botanical extracts, which contribute to the maintenance of normal bone health. This special formulation contains a rich source of calcium from natural sources in four active forms. Vitamin D is naturally derived from olive, which helps in absorption of calcium. Magnesium has been derived from Jahar mohra, which is needed for calcium absorption and helps in bone formation. Zinc is obtained from Yashad, which is important for calcium uptake and immune function. The drug also includes Asthishrinkhla, an ancient herb that has been used since ages for its bone healing properties, especially in cases of fractures.
Benefits of Boniheal
- Boniheal is a complete bone therapy for fractured bones, osteoporotic bones, delayed bone growth and bone mineral deficiency.
- Boniheal provides superior bone health anti-oxidant, which stimulates osteoblasts, the bone-building cells.
- Neutralises free radicals and increases bone density. It also reduces bone loss and increases bone strength.
- Heals fracture naturally and faster. It increases the rate of fracture healing by influencing the regeneration of connective tissue of mesenchymal cells such as chondroblasts, fibroblast and osteoblast.
- Promotes calcification of bones and improves calcium deposition in bone matrix to insure stability and strength of the bone.
- It effectively reduces bone loss, playing an important role in correcting deficiency imbalance.
- The drug supplements calcium in bio-available form.
- Increases osteoblastic activity by exerting an anabolic effect on osteoblast precursors like Runx-2, and reduces osteoclastic activity thereby, facilitating bone formation.
- Helps to maintain bone density in menopause.
It is recommended to take one tablet twice a day or as advised by your Ayurvedic physician